Salmon is a very healthy food with lots of health benefits.
The major health promoting components in salmon include: Omega 3, EPA/DHA, protein, and antioxidants.
| DID YOU KNOW?
The American Heart Association recommends that people include at least two servings of fish per week, particularly fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, and herring), in their diets.
The omega-3's in fatty cold water fish offer the following heart protections:
Lowers blood pressure
- Anti-arrhythmic: counteracting or preventing irregular heart beats
- Anti-thrombotic: tending to prevent a blood clot within a blood vessel
- Anti-atherosclerotic: preventing fatty deposits and fibrosis of the inner layer of the arteries from forming
- Anti-inflammatory: counteracting inflammation (heat, pain, swelling, etc.)
- Improves endothelial function: a major factor in promoting the growth of new blood vessels
Improves lipid profile: lowers triglyceride, lowers LDL cholesterol
| WARNING: Farmed salmon has far higher levels of toxic PCBs than wild salmon.
SUGGESTION: Only eat wild salmon.
Other health benefits accrued from fatty cold water fish includes:
- Lowers risk of dementia including Alzheimer's Disease
- Improves rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, Raynaud's disease, and other autoimmune diseases
- Improves depression and symptoms of other mental health problems
- Aids in cancer prevention and cancer support
Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease—Fishing for a Natural Treatment. British Medical Journal, 2004
Neurobehavioral Aspects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Possible Mechanisms and Therapeutic Value in Major Depression, Alternative Medicine Review, 2003
Fish Consumption, Fish Oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, and Cardiovascular Disease, Circulation, 2002
Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acid Intake and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in Women. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 2002
Global Assessment of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers in Farmed and Wild Salmon, Environmental Science Technology, 2004
Dijon Maple Grilled Salmon
Salmon with Cucumber-Horseradish Sauce
<! -- BEGIN - LINK AD 200X90X4BLACK -->
<! -- END - LINK AD 200X90X4BLACK -->
For more salmon recipes,
check out SalmonRecipes.net
<! -- BEGIN - FOOTER WITH GOOGLE SEARCH -->
This page was last updated on 10/8/06.
<! -- END - FOOTER WITH GOOGLE SEARCH -->