Pumpkin and Pumpkin Seeds
<! -- BEGIN - TOWER ON LEFT - ROTATE -->
<! -- END - TOWER ON LEFT - ROTATE -->
Pumpkins have the following health benefits:
- Protects against heart disease
- Prevents cholesterol oxidation
- Protects against age-related macular degeneration (the leading cause of vision loss in people over age 50)
- Promotes prostrate health
- Reduces the risk of developing lung cancer
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer
Top Health Promoting Components
Some of the top health promoting components of a pumpkin includes:
- Carotenoids - are fat-soluble antioxidants found in yellow-orange fruits and vegetables and dark green leafy vegetables.
Carotenoids are an anti-inflammatory, have anti-cancer properties, protect the brain and nervous system, protect the skin against sun damage, and are beneficial for people with angina, high cholesterol, heart disease, and acne.
- Vitamin A - promotes healthy surface linings of the eyes and the respiratory, urinary, and intestinal tracts.
- Fiber - is beneficial in fighting heart disease, constipation, diarrhea, and colon cancer.
- Folate - helps prevent birth defects, inhibits colon cancer, and helps prevent heart disease by helping to remove homocysteine from your blood. Too much homocysteine, an abnormal protein byproduct, can cause serious artery damage.
- Zinc - aids in wound healing, supports a strong immune system, promotes prostrate health.
Pumpkin seeds are very high in zinc.
An Increase in Dietary Carotenoids when Consuming Plant Sterols or Stanols is Effective in Maintaining Plasma Carotenoid Concentrations. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2002
Dietary Carotenoids and Risk of Coronary Artery Disease in Women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2003
Carotenoids and Cardiovascular Health. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2006
<! -- BEGIN - LINK AD 200X90X4BLACK W/LINKS -->
<! -- END - LINK AD 200X90X4BLACK W/LINKS -->
- Everything about pumpkins, growing, Halloween, recipes,
facts, history, fun and games and more!
<! -- BEGIN - FOOTER WITH GOOGLE SEARCH -->
This page was last updated on 09/16/06.
<! -- END - FOOTER WITH GOOGLE SEARCH -->