Statins inhibit an enzyme, HMG-CoA reductase, which controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body. These drugs lower cholesterol by slowing down the production of cholesterol and by increasing the liver's ability to remove LDL. Statins help:
- Lower your LDLs
- Raise your HDLs
- Reduce your plaque in your arteries
- Protect the lining of your arteries
- Lower your C-reactive protein
- Reduce your risk of a first heart attack
- Reduce your risk of a second heart attack if you've already had one
- Reduce your risk of a stroke
Common Statin Medications
Below is a list of common brand name statins and the associated active ingredient found in the medication.
Click on the associated hyper-text link for a complete fact sheet on the associated medication to find out about drug interactions, side effects, and other useful information.
SOURCE: Drug Digest at www.drugdigest.org
Comparison of Various Statins Effect on Cholesterol Levels
Drug Interaction Checker
- Find the best drug prices from the U.S., Canadian, and International pharmacies - with ratings to help you avoid problems.
This page was last updated on 12/12/05.